Friday 13 January 2012

A Friday Adventure

Ok, so calling it an adventure makes it sound much more grand than it actually was. Although I've lived in Bristol my whole life (bar a 3 year jaunt across the other side of the world) I live out-of-town and rarely venture into the heart of the city. Only for work (and that doesn't count).

Today I had to collect my Mum from a garage in Bristol and we had a few hours to kill before her car would be ready. Although I see her every Friday when she's off work, we rarely actually do anything of any note.

So we decided today to have a little meander through Clifton. She (mis?) spent her youth there and always enjoys visiting her old stomping ground. Plus, she knows the are way better than me so I'm (not entirely) less likely to get lost, as I so often do.

A school friend of mine, Jess, regularly tweets about her cakey adventures with her gorgeous daughter in the village so our first stop was the Mall Deli. We decided to stop for a coffee and couldn't resist one of their delicious cakes. The lady took the boys to the front of the cafe to choose a cupcake each and Mum and I shared a slice of coffee & walnut cake.


The staff were wonderful and the cakes absolutely delicious. Since the Lionheart launch I've had The Homemade Mama's cupcakes on my mind and wondered if these would satisfy my cravings. Although not quite up to Kimberlee's fine creations, they were a close second, absolutely delish. We'll certainly be visiting again soon. Oh, and they do children's hot chocolate too. Made them feel very grown-up.



As we passed Lisa Elliott, the florist herself came out bearing armfuls of hydrangeas. I had some of these in the house last year and can't resist their perfume filling the room (and, er, masking the doggy-baby smell). She immediately struck up a conversation with Finn, asking if he knew what colours the flowers were and telling him the names of the blooms. He was enthralled, and we were sold. 2 Pots were put aside for us to collect on our way back.

A quick browse around the antiques shop (man, I could spend some serious money in those places if, like, I had some), a stop at the butchers and we were on our way back. We collected our flowers and my boys received their first rose each from the florist. Well, who'd have thought a single red rose could please 2 children so much? (did I ever tell you how easily pleased my kids are?).

So, clutching their newly acquired stems in one hand and the other paw clinging to the grown-ups we made our way back (via Waitrose, of course) to the garage and ended our City adventure.



I've just received an email from my Mum listing all the things which made her smile today. The list was massive and it just proves that pleasure can be gained from the simplest things in life. Even if one of those things is my eldest son falling down the toilet :)

2 comments:

  1. I love lovely Clifton adventures :) M and I have ventured that way a couple of times recently and it's so nice. The email of things that made your mum smile is such a good idea. I'm going to start doing that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Estrella Just another WordPress.com site HomeAbout ← A Friday Adventure [...]

    ReplyDelete