Monday 30 July 2012

Where do YOU do it?

With 2 pre-schoolers (1 for not much longer, sniff), a job and home to look after I don't have an awful lot of time left for hobbies. Luckily I can fit fitness into my life by combining it with the other stuff, like cycling to work and taking the boys to play in the gym creche but other things, like knitting and crochet are much more difficult. If any of you have under-fives and have also ended up with mummified children, you'll know exactly what I mean.

The ONE occasion this actually happened
So once the kids are in bed, I have my tea then use the peace and quiet to get some hooking (no, not that type of hooking, filthy) done in front of the TV until I fall asleep. Which admittedly isn't very long these days. It does mean that projects take a bloody lifetime to finish though and often I then get bored and start new projects all the time. Cue about 5 items on the go at any one time.

Our holidays often involve long drives (camping in Scotland, anyone?) so I now use the opportunity to grab my crochet hook and usually manage to get at least 1 project finished by the end of the holiday.
The Mama One. Modelled by a sleepy Max (this doesn't happen often either)

As we had the mother of long drives this month I took the opportunity to not only start but actually finish a blanket I've been wanting to make for a while. I have a Mama-sized one which I made ages ago and still have lots of yarn left over so made a shrunk-down version (with a few changes) for the shop. I'm really pleased with it and have it up for sale over on Etsy already.

Baby-sized version
I started a similar one in 2 colours with some oh-so-soft Debbie Bliss Cashmerino yarn I had left over from yet another abandoned project. I may have to wait until the next road trip to get it finished though. That's not an excuse to book another holiday is it? Really?

So I'd like to know, where do you do it? On the bus? On your lunch break? Weekends and birthdays only? Do tell, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment